Visit These
Interesting
 Links!

GOOD NEWS for
Old Stangl Factory!

       **NEW**

Flemington Pfaltzgraff 
Outlet Store Closed

 FULPER POTTERY

East Walnut Emporium
Fulper & Stangl for Sale

  Fulper & Stangl 
Transitional Myth

FULPER  & STANGL
  REPRODUCTION  
*****ALERT!
*****

Stangl Pottery
on Facebook

Stangl Mold Rescue

 Kay Hackett's Recent
Museum Program!

  Stangl Designer
Dom. DeChristopher

Tragic Vandalism 
To Historic Kilns

Fulper's Fancy 
 Whiskey Jugs

Stangl & Fulper 
Collectors Group
& Message Board

Kay Hackett's New
Introductions 2004!

     *Estate Sales*
We Make It Go Away!

Stangl For Sale
 Life Of Riley
Collectiques 

Kay Hackett's
Most Recent 
Demonstration

Christl Stangl Bacheler
       Memorial

Merrill B. Bacheler
       Memorial

David W. Thomas
      Memorial

Stangl Pottery Reminisces

Stangl Artware Book

Stratford Antiques

The Kay Hackett Story

Kay Hackett's
New Line 2002!

"New" Fulper Tile

Stangl Kiln Repair!

Hill-Fulper-Stangl
Museum Glimpses

Hill-Fulper-Stangl
Museum Creation

Hill-Fulper-Stangl
Museum Opening

Richard Habron's
Stangl Photo Album

Fulper Pottery

Where They Rest...

Stangl Artware Book

Stangl Dinnerware Book

Home

Trenton Bridge

American Art Pottery
Association

Contact Us

Appraisals

About Us

Our Ebay Auctions

Visit  our  MEGA
Vintage Christmas
       Display!!

 

 

 

 

STANGL POTTERY

Flemington Outlet, 'Stormy Summer Sky'
photographed August 1966 by Stangl Pottery employee Steve Szelingowski
 (Generously shared from the collection of Margaret Szelingowski Manzke and G. William Manzke Jr.)

Welcome!

Stangl Pottery has been known far and wide for innovative artware, bright, colorful bird figurines and hand-painted dinnerware in floral and fruit patterns!  

  Be sure to check out  the latest 
  book on Stangl Pottery ~ 
  The Collector's Encyclopedia 
  of Stangl Artware, Lamps & 
  Birds, 2nd Edition.
  

  THE MOST COMPLETE 
  STANGL POTTERY BOOK 
  AVAILABLE!!

A Brief Stangl Pottery History... 
Begun by Samuel Hill in 1814 in Flemington, New Jersey, and known as Hill Pottery.  Hill was a utilitarian potter, producing drain pipes and storage crocks and jars from Flemington's red earthenware clay.  By the 1860s, the company had been acquired by Abram Fulper, who continued in the utilitarian pottery business, but produced primarily stoneware, rather than earthenware.


A section of Hill Pottery earthenware drainpipe.


Hill Pottery redware pot 
with Albany Slip glaze.

By 1900, the company, now Fulper Pottery Co., was under the direction of William H. Fulper II, grandson of Abram Fulper.  William H. Fulper II was responsible for the development and introduction of Fulper Pottery Co.'s now renowned Vasekraft art pottery in 1909.  In 1910, he hired ceramic engineer Martin Stangl to develop new Fulper Pottery shapes and glazes.  


William Hill Fulper II  


Johann Martin Stangl

By 1924, Martin Stangl was vice president of the company, and was responsible for the introduction of America's first open stock solid-color dinnerware.  Production had continued all along in the original Flemington factory until the 1920s when another small factory was built in Flemington and a large existing pottery facility in Trenton was acquired by the company.  In 1929, the original factory in Flemington burned, so all production was absorbed by the other two facilities.  


Fulper Pottery Plant No. 2, early 1930s.
(Compare how the trees and shrubs have grown in the 1972 photo above!)


Fulper Pottery Plant No.3, Trenton, NJ, 1920s ~ the location for 
all Stangl dinnerware production from 1926-1978.


A portion of Stangl's Trenton factory in 1952.

In 1935, production was ceased at the small remaining Flemington location, and that building was utilized solely as a retail showroom for the company's ceramic products, becoming one of the Nation's first "factory outlets".  By the 1940s, hand-painted dinnerware had become popular, augmented in 1942 with the introduction of Stangl's best-known product, hand-carved, hand-painted dinnerware.  Stangl's dinnerware and artware was sold through over 3000 department, gift and jewelry stores across America.

From the 1930s through 1978, Stangl's Flemington Outlet showroom was a keenly popular tourist destination.  Folks traveled from far and wide to partake of the bargains in high-quality pottery offered there.  During busy week-ends, there were often as many as 1000 patrons visiting Stangl's Flemington showrooms.  Automobile clubs and tour bus lines often included the Stangl Outlet as an integral part of many road trips.


A busy parking lot at the Stangl Flemington Outlet in 1952.

Shopping at Stangl seems always to be remembered as delightful experience.  Whether twenty, forty or even fifty years later, visitors recall with pleasure the original Kiln display, or searching through endless stacks of dinnerware for those wonderful Stangl bargains.

By November 1978, Stangl Pottery ceased manufacturing and closed forever, signaling the end of a truly unique American folk-art product.


Trenton's famous "Trenton Makes" bridge.  Since 1935, this glowing neon billboard has been announcing Trenton's importance as a manufacturing center, noted for steel, wire rope, linoleum, rubber and ceramics.  Click here for more on this unusual landmark...

All content, text, images and photos contained herein copyright Robert C. Runge Jr.

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.

 


Free counters provided by Andale.